Pageant within the Park runs from Friday, Sept. 16, via Sunday, Sept. 18, in Freedom Park.
Why it issues: It’s one in every of Charlotte’s longest-standing traditions, that includes artwork, music, meals and household actions. The pageant remains to be run by the identical household who got here up with the concept in 1964.
Flashback: The thought originated when John Belk, the previous president of the Chamber of Commerce, approached his good friend Grant Whitney, an insurance coverage government with Belk Shops Providers. “Sooner or later he stated ‘let’s do an artwork pageant in Charlotte,’” Lily Hitch, Whitney’s granddaughter, tells Axios. “My mother runs the present now,” she stated.
- They agreed to carry the pageant in September, when the climate is cooler and there’s much less likelihood of rain.
Particulars: The free occasion is predicted to draw 85,000 individuals all through the weekend. In years previous as many as 140,000 individuals have attended the pageant.
- It’ll function 200 artists and craft exhibitors and almost 1,000 entertainers.
- Plus, there’ll be meals distributors, a child zone, a merry go spherical and extra.
- Of observe: The pageant was canceled in 2020 due to the pandemic, as WFAE reported. It was held in a smaller, scaled-back type in 2021.
Dates: Friday, Sept. 16, from 4-9pm.
- Saturday, Sept. 17, from 10am-9pm.
- Sunday, Sept. 18, from 10am-5pm.
Parking: Guests are inspired to experience share and get dropped off at 2435 Cumberland Avenue or 1600 Princeton Avenue.
Editor’s observe: We’ve up to date this story with the proper identify of Grant Whitney. Additionally, Hitch is Whitney’s granddaughter, not Belk’s.